Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Lowitt, K., Johnston-Weiser,
D., Lauzon, R., Keeshig, J., & Hickey, G. (2018). On food security and
access to fish in the Saugeen Ojibway Nation, Lake Huron, Canada. Journal of
Great Lakes Research 44(1), 174-183. Available here.
- Levkoe, C.*, Lowitt, K.*, & Nelson, C. (2017). “Fish as food”: Exploring a food
sovereignty approach to small-scale fisheries. Marine Policy 85, 65-70.
*co lead authors Available here
- Rahman, H.M.T., St. Ville, A., Song, A., Po, J., Berthet, E.,
Brammer, J., Brunet, N., Jayaprakash, L., Lowitt,
K., Rastogi, A., Reed, G., & Hickey, G. (2017). A framework for analyzing institutional gaps in
natural resource governance. International Journal of the Commons 11(2),
823-853. Available here.
- Lowitt, K. (2017). [Review of the book Globalization, agriculture and food in the Caribbean, Edited by C. Beckford & K. Rhiney]. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development. Available here.
- Lowitt, K. Saint Ville, A., Keddy, C., Hickey, G., & Phillip, L. (2016). Challenges and opportunities for more integrated regional food security policy in the Caribbean Community. Regional Studies, Regional Science. Available here.
- Lowitt, K., Saint Ville, A., Lewis, P., & Hickey, G. (2015). Environmental change and food security: The special case of Small Island Developing States. Regional Environmental Change. Available here.
- Lowitt, K., Hickey, G., Ganpat, W., & Phillip, L. (2015). Linking communities of practice with value chain development in smallholder farming systems. World Development. Available here.
- Lowitt, K., Hickey, G., Saint Ville., A., Raeburn, K., Thompson-Colon, T., Laszlo, S., & Phillip, L. (2015). Factors affecting the innovation potential of smallholders farmers in the Caribbean Community. Regional Environmental Change. Available here.
- Lowitt, K. (2014). A coastal foodscape: Examining the relationships between changing fisheries and community food security. Ecology and Society 19(3), 48. Available here.
- Lowitt, K. (2014). Reflections on "As we fish and farm": A radio documentary. Canadian Food Studies. Available here.
- Lowitt, K. (2013).
Examining fisheries contributions to community food security: Findings from a household seafood consumption survey on
the west coast of Newfoundland. Journal
of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition 8(2), 221-241. Available here.
- Lowitt, K., Nagy, M., Nelson, C., & Bavington, D. (2013). Where's the fish? Alternatives Journal 39(4). Available here.
- Nelson, C., Lowitt, K., Nagy, M., & Bavington, D.
(2013). Research commentary: Future research
approaches to encourage small-scale fisheries in the local food
movement. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development 3(4). Available here.
- Lowitt, K. (2012). The
reinvention and performance of traditional Newfoundland foodways in culinary tourism in the Bonne Bay region. Newfoundland and Labrador Studies 27(1).
- Lowitt, K. (2010). Exploring connections among people, places, and food in three Nova Scotia farmers’ markets. Cuizine 2(3). Available here.
- Lowitt, K. & Neis, B. (2018). The retail
food environment and household food provisioning strategies in the rural region of Bonne Bay on
Newfoundland’s west coast. Keske, C., (Ed.), Newfoundland Food
- Lowitt, K., Gray-Donald, K.,
Hickey, G., Saint Ville, A., Ganderson, I., Madramootoo, C., Phillip, L. (Forthcoming).
The Obesity Pandemic
& Food Insecurity in Developing Countries: A case study from the Caribbean.
In Karpyn, A., (Ed.), Food and Public Health. Oxford University Press.
- Lowitt, K., Levkoe, C., Song, A., Hickey, G., & Nelson, C. (Forthcoming). Broadening the scope: Fisheries and place-based food systems in the Lake Superior region. In Chuenpagdee, R. & Jentoft, S. (Eds.), Small-Scale Fisheries Governance: Transdisciplinary Analysis and Practices.
- Lowitt, K., Mount, P., Khan, A., & Clement, C. (2016). Governing challenges for local food systems: Emerging lessons from agriculture and fisheries. Conversations in Food Studies. University of Manitoba Press.
- Lowitt, K. (2011). Fish and fisheries in the evolution of Newfoundland foodways. In Chuenpagdee, R.,(Ed.), World small-scale fisheries: Contemporary visions (pp.117-131). The Netherlands: Eburon Academic Publishers.
- Lowitt, K., Hickey, G.M., Saint Ville, A. &
Lewis, P. (Guest Editors of Special Issue). (2015). Environmental
Change and Food Security: The special case of Small Island Developing States. Regional
Environmental Change 15(7). Springer.
- Andree, P., Clark, J., Levkoe, C., & Lowitt, K. (Editors). (Under contract). Civil Society and Social Movements in Food Systems Governance.
- Lowitt, K., Johnston-Weiser, D., Lauzon, R. & Hickey, G. (2017).
On food security and access to fish in the Saugeen Ojibway Nation: A Policy
Brief. Prepared for Saugeen Ojibway Nation Joint Council.
- Contributing author to: Campbell, I.D., Durant D.G., Hunter, K.L. and Hyatt, K.D. (2014). Food production. In Warren, F.J. & Lemmen, D.S. (Eds.), Canada in a changing climate: Sector perspectives on impacts and adaptation (pp.99-134). Ottawa, ON: Government of Canada.
- Lowitt, K. (June 2013). As we fish and farm. Guest contribution on Smallscales: Fishing with the trip bottom line. Available here.
- Lowitt, K. Community kitchen best practices toolkit: A guide for community organizations in Newfoundland and Labrador. Prepared for the Food Security Network of Newfoundland and Labrador. Available here.
- Lowitt, K. (2011). Examining the foundations for fisheries-tourism synergies and increased local seafood consumption in the Bonne Bay region of Newfoundland. Prepared for Community-University Research for Recovery Alliance, Memorial University of Newfoundland and Rural Secretariat. Available here.
- Lowitt, K. (2009). A community food security assessment of the Bonne Bay region: Some preliminary findings. Prepared for Community-University Research for Recovery Alliance, Memorial University of Newfoundland. Available here.